Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Most Beautiful Moment In My Life...

This is a true story, but names have been changed for privacy reasons...

I was 14, I was unsure of myself, and I was immature. I had friends, two great friends in fact Lily and Hope. They were both great girls, they both liked a bit of drama like any 14 year old girl. There would be fall outs and bust ups. Me and Lily would argue a lot, but we knew really that we loved each other (and are still best of friends now). 
We were okay at school I wasn't there a lot, and when I was there I would be a bit on the bad side. But Lily and Hope still knew I was just an idiot and loved me for it. We were hung up with things like boys, and getting wasted at the weekend (like most British teenagers). 
Hope was a great girl, she was confident, fun and a good friend and had a big heart when she wanted to. And Lily was also all of the above. They were both very Intelligent also. Everyday after school would finish we would leave school and go to Hope and Lily's for them to get changed before we would go off and do something pointless like sit on a bench for hours. I couldn't go home because I lived too far from school. So this was just a normal day like any other. We causally walk up to graces house, happy as could be for a normal afternoon.
Now Hope's family were a bit different, and her parents should be commended for there ability to love. And through it all they both had sight problems. Both were basically blind. 
Now personally I would think it horrible to be blind like most. But her parents never seemed angry about it, in fact her mother always spoke in such a soft nice warm tone, as though talking to a child, but it was never patronising. Don't get me wrong things weren't perfect they obviously had arguments like most families etc.
Anyway on this day me, Lily and Hope arrived on Hope's doorstep. Hope went in and her mum was there in the corridor waiting for her. She looked very happy, like a child on Christmas morning there was a sparkle about her. She was a bit excitable, and she explained to us how she had been given some new glasses by the NHS..And that these glasses had made it so she could see slightly, especially close up.
So she then turns to her daughter Hope, who remember is 14 years old, and says, "come closer, Hope" and grace is a bit confused but shuffles closer. And as she gets quite close in her mum turns to her and says "This is the first time in 14 years I have been able to look at my daughters face properly!" 
At this moment me and Lily are a blubbering mess, this was a moment that two 14 year old's were not prepared for. It was like a blessing to be allowed to see such a warm and loving moment. And still to this day I remember it, it may be blurry with time, but its there warm in my heart. As the moment I learnt a lot more about life and love. 
How must this woman have felt to finally see her daughter properly after 14 years. It was probably one of the greatest days of her lives. And I would like to thank her for that moment, because no matter what even in the midst of all that teenage angst, I could still stop to recognise a moment of pure happiness. So perhaps those out there who have yet to feel a moment of pure happiness, perhaps they will never. Perhaps they treat others with hate and discrimination perhaps it's because they haven't had a beautiful moment to keep them in place ad remind them that beauty can be found in the most unexpected of places, at the most unexpected of times. And hopefully one day they will be blessed. 
So when Hope steps into someone's vision and you see that, then remember that Hope exists around you whether it exists in your current moment or not. It will come even if it takes 14 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment