Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Valpo

Valparaiso is famous for many things, Pablo Neruda the nobel peace prize winning poet, Tom Arraya from Slayer (lead singer and bassist) hails from the Serro Barron, its world famous 'funiculaire' tram systems and its serros (hills).



I have read some Neruda (yes I have!!), I love Slayer and I have ridden on the tramways. All of which are beautiful in their own way. Today however I really experienced the serros, I asked my dad which direction was was 'easiest' to run in. He said out the door and right, so I ran in that direction. About 8.50mins later I was cursing him. Los serros are exactly that! I went for a 35min run and haven't suffered that much in ages, at one point the heart rate was up in the 180's (that's almost arresting for me) and I was only moving at a snails pace up a 20% incline. God that hurt.



The message was clear, ride on the trams, listen to Reign in Blood by Slayer and read Neruda. Don't go for a 'light' run ever. I also got chased by to dogs and almost got run over by a taxi!



This place is mental, love the emerging market feel.



PizBot de los Serros.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment